Wednesday, December 17, 2014

ChaLean Extreme - Burn Intervals and Ab Burner

Follow my blog with Bloglovin


So this was one of those workouts where you start out HATING it....end up LOVING it, just a little bit :)

 I'm NOT a cardio person...I don't like the out-of-breath, barfy feeling I get from running or other cardio exercises. I'd much rather lift some weights or even do nothing at all than go for a run. Hopefully I'm not alone in this!

But it's true that you need SOME form of cardio to help jump-start fat loss!

So I can honestly say I was dreading this workout but I gave it a shot!



Burn Intervals is a bit longer than the other workouts so far - closer to 50 minutes rather than just 30. Plus the Ab Burner is about 10 minutes, so altogether you'll come in at about an hour's workout with these 2. Not bad at all, considering you'll probably burn more calories doing an hour of this workout than you would running for an hour!

Each cardio/plyometric section is followed by a LIGHT weight set. The goal here is to get your heart rate as high as it can (safely) go during the cardio parts, and then bring it slowly back down to normal during the active recovery, where you use low weights but high reps to help focus on endurance rather than building muscle.

Here's what this workout looks like:

*Jump rope drills
*Bicep curls
*Speed skate (you can add the band for resistance/higher intensity)
*Overhead shoulder press
*Kickboxing drills
*Lunges/knee lift
*Lunge jump-shot
*Bent over row (one of my favorites! I REALLY felt the muscle in my back working on this one)
*Plyo bowler's lunge
*Bent-over tricep extension + overhead extension
*Kickboxing drills (with or without the resistance band)
*Lateral raises
*Sumo burpees (these were a LOT tougher than I thought they would be! My legs were shaking after only 4 of them!)
*Segmented bicep curls (these were a different type of bicep curl that I had never done before...you lifted to about halfway, then you rotated the weight out towards the side and then lifted it up...not to your shoulder like a regular curl, but just sort of up to about jaw height...very effective)
*Alternating plyo reverse lunges
*Weighted standing crunches (this one was great, you held a weight at your midsection and made sort of a figure 8/canoe paddling motion...you could really feel your abs and obliques working hard!)
*More kickboxing drills!
*Squats
*Jumping jacks/high knees (with or without the band)
*Lower body blast (standing leg extensions to the side, front, back and squat)

So there were a TON of exercises in this workout - I liked this because I didn't feel like I was constantly looking at the clock to see how much time was left in a particular exercise. The cardio/plyo sections were only about 1 minute-1:30 minutes long, short and sweet! Long enough for you to really get a good sweat and burn going, but then before you know it, it's over!!

I really wanted to hate this workout, but in the end I think I actually enjoyed it - the short spurts of high intensity cardio were totally bearable and I feel like I got an extremely good workout from it! I'm really sore, 2 days later :)


Now on to the Ab Burner portion!

I enjoyed this workout even though working abs is not one of my favorite things to do!

Here's a breakdown:

*Moving cat stretch
*Standard crunch
*Reverse crunch
*Side taps
*Criss-cross bicycle
*Double presser
*Side pike
*Weighted crunch
*Weighted obliques
*Reach and tuck


I thought this was a really good ab workout - I was definitely hurting by the end!! A lot of the moves are very traditional ab work, but I liked incorporating weights in with some of them also for an extra-intense crunch!


Anyone else tried this program or this Burn Interval + Ab Burner combo? Let me know what your thoughts are!

Stay tuned for Burn Circuit 3...






No comments:

Post a Comment