Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Fried avocado?? Yes, please!

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

So I love avocados...except most of the time, when I eat them, they're smashed with garlic, onion, cilantro and served with deep fried chips and a margarita or 2....not exactly the healthiest snack!



I discovered this recipe courtesy of Self Magazine and let me just say...I'm making it ASAP! I've modified it slightly to put my own spin on the recipe, and you could do the same!

courtesy of SELF Magazine

Avocados are a GREAT source of healthy fat, perfect for keto or vegetarian meal plans, and they're so flexible - toss some in your salads, fish dishes, tacos, breakfast, even some desserts made with avocado are BOMB.

Here we go!

 

INGREDIENTS

  • 3/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
  • 2 tablespoons ground flax
  • 1 egg
  • 2 peeled avocados
  • Vegetable oil cooking spray
  • Salt
  • Hot sauce
 ***You could also toss in some chili powder (for a little heat), ancho chili powder (for a more robust heat), Italian seasoning or garlic powder (for more flavor), seasoned salt (like Lawry's, Tony Chachere's) - whatever you like based on your preferences or depending on what the other flavors of the meal are (Mexican, Italian, seafood, etc)

 

PREP

  • Heat oven to 400°. 
  • In a bowl, combine panko breadcrumbs, flax and whatever other seasonings you're using . 

  • In another bowl, whisk the egg.  
  • Cut avocados into 16 wedges, dip wedges in egg, press into breadcrumb mixture and transfer to a baking sheet.
  • Coat with vegetable oil cooking spray. 
  •  Bake until outside is crispy, 10 to 12 minutes. 
  • Season with salt and drizzle with hot sauce.

I think these would be great with a ranch-y type sauce, if you feel the need to dip!

 Like I said, I WILL be making these ASAP! I'd love to hear how they turned out for you and how you made the recipe your own!

No comments:

Post a Comment